Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Great Local Produce

I was back in the Stilly Valley yesterday, near where we were Sunday when I took the picture of the dark sky, to pick up produce at a local farm.  Doug and Char Byden purchased a nearly-20-acre farm in 2003 and have been developing a CSA and a roadside produce stand.  They call themselves Freshly Doug Vegetables!  They are refurbishing their barn, which is on the National Barn Registry, as they garden and tend fruit trees and a few animals.


My friend Terri gave me a couple of gift certificates for veggies.  Dinner after our first visit (all but the tomatoes) was a feast that came from Char's garden.


Yesterday Terri and I both came home loaded down with wonderful veggies.  Beets, carrots, kale, cabbage, lettuce, broccoli, potatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, peppers -- more than we can eat in a week.  But that won't stop us from trying!


Here are the ingredients that we will use to make veggie drinks -- kale, beets, carrot and broccoli.  We usually add an apple, a cup or two of apple juice, flax seeds. some honey, and ice, whiz it in the VitaMix and make healthy, hearty drinks.


I'll keep in touch with Char through her blog and let you know next summer as she starts to have items for sale.  I know you'll want to meet her and try some of their Freshly Doug Vegetables!


No comments:

ShareThis