Friday, August 19, 2011

A Walk in the Park; A Ride at Sunset

Karen and I spent some time at Cama Beach State Park on the west shore of Camano Island on Wednesday.  It's always fun to hang out with Karen -- she is so easy to be with and our outings are happy occasions.

We parked the car near the entrance to the park and found the trail to Cranberry Lake.  It was a beautiful day, blue and warm, and the 1.5 mile well-kept trail through the forest was mostly flat (125 feet elevation) and easy to walk.  We stopped a couple of times to sit on the benches along the way for a chat.  I'm not sure what I was expecting to find when we reached our destination -- just a pristine lake, I guess.  I wasn't prepared for the huge leaves that cover nearly half the lake, making it looks rather like a hydroponic rhubarb farm!  We never did figure out what was growing.  I've read that you can fish on Cranberry Lake, but I suspect you would have to access the lake some way other than the hiking trail we chose.






Cama Beach has a fascinating history, including over 50 years as a fishing resort.  Sometime I'll write about it, but today I'll just show you some pictures of this peaceful destination.


Rental cabins
The cabins from the deck of the brand new conference center

After dinner Tom and I drove into the farmland near home to get some evening shots.  What a nice way to end the day!






2 comments:

Joan Husby said...

What a lovely way to spend the day before your birthday! You are gifted with your camera. Thanks for sharing.
Hope your birthday was as nice as this day.

Karen S. said...

Fun to read about our afternoon at the beach! I looked far and wide for info on Camano's Cranberry Lake--basically nothing. I think the fishing you heard about may be related to Cranberry Lake over near Anacortes.
Loved your sunset shots too.

ShareThis