Monday, August 8, 2011

A Quiet Heart

From the pen of Lilias Trotter, comes this beautiful story of growth in the life of a follower of Christ:

I was at Fehira's the other day.  She was heavy and sorrowful.  At last it came out that her husband had said some very insulting things about her and that they had been noised about and her good name blackened.  "Did you answer him back?" I asked.

"Without doubt I did!" was the answer.  So we read about Him who, when He was reviled, reviled not again, and she prayed, "Lord, make my tongue quiet."

Today I was there again and asked how things had been.  Yes, her tongue had been kept quiet, she said, "but all is hot inside.  The words stay in, because I asked God, but it is all hot."  So we went a bit further on the road to holiness and she prayed, "Lord, Thou hast made my tongue quiet.  Make my heart quiet now."

from A Blossom in the Desert 
Reflections of Faith in the Art and Writings of Lilias Trotter 


Photo by Tom Kauffman

No comments:

ShareThis