Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Want to Improve your Prayer Life?


Pryer is one of the biggest challenges of my walk with Christ. I love to pray and I believe it is our privilege to bring our concerns to the Lord through prayer, yet sometimes it baffles me beyond belief! I can't say I've ever been at complete peace with the whole prayer thing.

Last July I uncovered a book in my library called A 12-Month Guide to Better Prayer. It offers messages on prayer by great preachers and mystics of the past. R.A. Torrey, who died in 1928, is the closest to our contemporary; Francois Fenelon and Madame Jeanne Guyon, both born in the mid-1600s are the oldest of the writers. I have tried to spend one month on each chapter, reading, re-reading, searching the scriptures presented in the chapter, and meditating over the material given.

It is the most meaningful study of prayer that I have ever been involved in.

Listen to this sampling of the powerful truths from the pens of these faithful servants of God:

The only limits to prayer are the promises of God and His ability to fulfill those promises... Alas! how the unbelief of men has limited the power of God to work through prayer!.. When God's promises and man's praying are united by faith, then nothing shall be impossible. - E.M. Bounds

Prayer is the natural out-gushing of a soul in communion with Jesus. Just as the leaf and the fruit will come out of the vine without any conscious effort on the part of the branch but simply because of its living union with the stem, so prayer buds and blossoms and produces fruit out of souls abiding in Jesus. - Charles H Spurgeon

The Spirit prays within us for those very things which the Spirit Himself wills to give us. - Francois Fenelon and Madame Jeanne Guyon

Let us, therefore, in our requests both for others and for ourselves, come to Him with a humble boldness, confiding in His power and goodness. - Matthew Henry

Do you feel frustrated in your praying? Do you want to experience the power and the joy of reaching God's heart through prayer? I encourage you to embark on a study that will set you free to pray with new understanding. Study prayer directly from the scripture or choose one of the myriad books written on the subject.

Ask the Lord to guide you. He will give you a passion for prayer and widen your world in amazing ways as you allow Him to stir you to pray. I can say that because that is what He is doing in my life! You won't be sorry for the investment.

No comments:

ShareThis