Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Incredible!

Here's something I'd never have thought up on my own -- Strawberry Balsamic Basil ice cream!

We were at the Skagit Valley Food Co-op in Mt Vernon Monday afternoon, looking in the deli for an afternoon snack.  I found a freshly baked gluten-free, vegan marionberry bar.  Then we wandered over to the freezer which holds the ice cream that they make by hand onsite.  I nudged Tom.  "Look at that one!" I said with a knowing nod as I pointed to the carton of Strawberry Balsamic Basil.  (Who wants balsamic vinegar and basil in their ice cream, for goodness sake? is what I was thinking.)

When the gal behind the counter offered Tom a sample, he went for the strawberry!  She loaded up a spoon and passed it over to him.  "Um, hum!  I'll take one of these!" he said.

We found a table and sat down to savor our snacks.  That marionberry bar was melt-in-your-mouth delicious!  But the ice cream was even better.  We were told that the balsamic vinegar makes the strawberries a little less sweet, and the basil leaves a very satisfying after-taste in your mouth.  It was as creamy an ice cream as I've ever enjoyed.

So here's a heads-up for you.  July is National Ice Cream Month and the third Sunday of the month is National Ice Cream Day.  That would be this Sunday, the 17th.  You just might want to get into the Co-op and order up some of their homemade ice cream for a special treat.

No comments:

ShareThis