Monday, June 27, 2011

Stress Buster

I have discovered my perfect stress buster -- opera!  We're not talking listening to opera, though for some people that might indeed relieve stress.  (For others, I'm afraid, the sound of opera might actually cause their stress to skyrocket.)  As I said, we're not talking listening; we're talking singing opera.

Driving home recently after a long day of appointments and shopping I was feeling weary, and more than a little stressed.  Still about ten minutes from home, I knew I had to do something to keep myself awake.  So I checked to be sure all my windows were rolled up and I began to belt out my troubles in my best opera voice.  For miles I sang myself silly, my rich and wide vibrato shaking the car as I warbled my way through all the things that were bothering me.  Mile after mile I jumped all over the scale with great intensity (and nice falsetto, I might add), reviewing my day with all the passion and expression usually reserved for the stage.  I tell you, it was something I will not forget, nor would you, if you'd been hidden away in the back seat of my car.

It did the trick -- I arrived home with a weak voice but a light heart.

Next time you think you might explode from the stress of life, drive to the country where you can discover your own falsetto and sing your heart out.  Even if singing opera doesn't relieve your stress, the country drive will do you good.

{Photo Credit}

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I love your attitude and your solution.

Isn't it fun to have attitude and find your own solution? Solutions vary but the attitude is integral.

Thank you for sharing.
carmellafatland@yahoo.com

ShareThis