Friday, June 3, 2011

The Great I AM

Photo Credit
Moses was having a bad day.  God was calling him to lead the Hebrew slaves from Egypt to the Promised Land, and Moses didn't want to do it.  He felt unqualified, inadequate.  Here is one of his arguments:

Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?'  Then what shall I tell them?"  God said to Moses, "I am who I am.  That is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'" (Exodus 3:13-14)

This morning as I was reading Isaiah 43 I was impressed by the number of ways God refers to Himself, revealing Himself to be the Great I AM.  Here is a list of the names He calls Himself in Isaiah 43:
      the Lord your God (v 3)
      the Holy One of Israel (v 3)
      your Savior (v 3)
      God (v 12)
      from ancient days I am he (v 13)
      your Redeemer (v 14)
      the Lord (v 15)
      your Holy One (v 15)
      Israel's Creator (v 15)
      your King (v 15)

God also reveals Himself in this chapter as the one who "called you by name," the ever-present One, and the protector (all found in verse 2); the God who is with us (v 5); the Only God (v 10-11); the God of new things and the way-maker (v 10); and the faithful judge (v 26-28).

Rejoice!  You were made by the Great I AM, He loves you, and He is with you.  It is He who says, "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you, and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.  When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned, the flames will not set you ablaze.  For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior" (Isaiah 43:3).

No comments:

ShareThis