Monday, February 21, 2011

How to Read the Bible

If you look to the Bible for answers to your deepest needs, you will not find them.  But if you look to Jesus, you will find the answers to your deepest needs in the Bible.  Jesus warns against putting our faith in the Bible rather than in Him: "You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life.  These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life" (John 5:39-40).  I love the Bible.  I treasure it. I delight in it.  In the Scriptures I hear the voice of the One I treasure, the One in whom I delight, the One my soul loves.  When I open my Bible, this prayer is in my heart:  "Show me your face, let me hear your voice, for your voice is sweet, and your face is lovely" (Song of Solomon 2:14).


If you read God's Word as if it were a book of rules or a textbook, or even a book of wisdom, your soul will not be fed.  If you come to His Word as the meeting place between your heart an His, "[your] soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods" (Psalm 63:5).

Jennifer Kennedy Dean in
Legacy of Prayer: 
A Spiritual Trust Fund for the Generations

No comments:

ShareThis