Monday, August 9, 2010

Glad to Be Back

Nice to be blogging again, after a week off.  I got some much needed rest and cared for a few matters of business that I'd been putting off.

Bruce and Glenda
My cousin Glenda and her husband Bruce, from Washington DC, were here for a family reunion and we had dinner with them.  They fell in love and got engaged when the three of us were teaching English and Bible in Japan.  We reminisced about one particular December evening when we were trying to keep up with Bruce's long strides on the way to a Christmas party, but I was winded and made Bruce slow down.  I had trouble getting a good breath all that night.  The next morning, at the hospital, I learned that keeping up with Bruce had not been my problem -- a collapsed lung had!

Last Friday we had a party with my family to celebrate Samuel's completion of his high school academics.  He just has a math test to take this Thursday, and a couple more credits to earn through the 18-21 Transition program.  He has wanted a job for yeas, and now he'll be getting job training and other preparation for moving toward greater independence.  We are so proud of his accomplishment!

Gram, Gramps, Auntie Peach and Samuel


Deanne
My friends Deanne and Sue invited me to go camping with them on the Olympic Peninsula.  I haven't been there for years and it sounded wonderful -- thee days in the mountains.  The trip would include two nights in a tent, a hike ("Oh, no, not a strenuous hike," said Deanne, who walks you straight up the steepest hill in town before she feeds you lunch!) and seasons of silence, just time to be alone with God.

Sue
I had to decline the invitation.  I wasn't sure I could handle sleeping on the ground and being quiet all in the same trip, not to mention Deanne's idea of a hike.  Maybe next year...

If the weather permits, they will be leaving tomorrow and returning on Thursday.  I wish you gals a wonderful time.

No comments:

ShareThis