Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Everett's Street Tunes

Downtown Everett is offering a creative, interactive art form this month -- several pianos, brightly painted, set in front of businesses around town.  Inspired by a similar project in New York City -- Play Me, I'm Yours -- where 60 colorful pianos are scattered around NYC, Everett commissioned local artists to paint the pianos which are now available for anyone to play!

I had my camera and a few minutes when I was downtown the other day, so I checked out a couple of pianos.  On the corner of Colby and California I found this young mother with her son on her lap sitting at the Music Leopard Lounge.  As she played scales with her right hand, he concentrated on the bass notes, his eyes darting around as they played.  A father and his two young daughters waited their turn to play.


Down the street, in front of Pave on Colby sat New Life.  The happy pianist was about 20, playing chords and runs with no particular tune in mind, making his own music.


On my way to my car I passed the Music Leopard Lounge again.  At the piano sat a boy, probably 12-years-old; his big sister stood near their bicycles.  While he played a dissonant, jazzy version of The Adams Family she provided the accompanying finger snaps.  I suspect it was a recent piano recital piece.  When they finished their number they headed for their bikes.

Later we took Tommy to the Everett Station where he played the Sun in Raven in Whale piano.  He did some amazing improvisation and drew a bit of a crowd.  One young woman stood just inside the door of the Station, where she could activate the automatic door just by moving her foot, getting it to open each time it closed.  After a while she came out onto the sidewalk to listen to him play.  I was quite impressed with his music!


The pianos will be on display in eight locations until August 25.  I wonder, if I come across one of those pianos and no one else is sitting there, will I have the courage to make a little music of my own?

1 comment:

Cami said...

What a neat idea. If we're in Everett over the next week I'm going to try and see if Eric will find one of the pianos. I wouldn't be brave enough to play, but I bet the kids would LOVE to.

Glad to see you got the LinkWithin up and running. Looks great!

ShareThis