Friday, October 16, 2009

Final Thoughts on the Brain

As we wrap up the week's posts on the brain, I have a few random thoughts.

1. Give your brain a good workout by mixing things up. Take up a new hobby; drive home a different way; learn to play the cello; get a French dictionary and translate a page from a children's book; use your opposite hand for brushing your teeth. I've been brushing my teeth right handed this week. Next week, after my gums and the roof of my mouth heal up, I'm going to try using the hair brush in my right hand when I dry my hair each morning. (Perhaps that will be a week I don't schedule appointments out in public!)

2. Sing!! Who cares what you sound like, just SING! Here's a great CNN article about a group called Sing for Joy, made up of folks with Parkinsons, MS and other serious health problems. Singing is good for the brain. And a side benefit is that singing is good for the soul.

3. Each brain is wired uniquely. Even identical twins have different wiring. On top of that, the things we take in through our senses imprint on our brains. At the moment there are over 6,790,000,000 absolutely unique brains in our world.

4. Our brains are capable of rewiring. This week CNN did another remarkable story, this one about a woman from Virginia who was born with only half a brain. Check out the story and news video here. Fascinating!

5. I am reminded of the words of David in Psalm 139, verses 13 and 14.

For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am
fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

Our brains, so complex, so delicate yet so responsive to healing, are the work of God. He was involved with us before we were even born. We have the capacity to grow, to learn new things, to seek after God. Our amazing brains point us to our amazing God. His works are wonderful; I know that full well.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very thought provoking series, but that no doubt was the point.

ShareThis