Tuesday, September 24, 2013

What's for Dinner? Roasted Veggies and Pears!


I stopped by Lisa R's house yesterday to get the box of pears she picked up for me on her annual produce run to Eastern Washington. (What a blessing she is to lots of folks who order peaches, pears, tomatoes, potatoes, whatever she rounds up, and carries it all back in her van!) 

She told me about the dinner she'd made for her family and it sounded so good that, by the time I got home, I'd changed my evening's menu. It was so delicious that I wanted to share it with you. Here's what we did:

Roasted Veggies and Pears

Peel a delicata squash, remove the seeds, and chop it into bite-sized pieces. Peel and slice 2 or 3 carrots. Scrub several potatoes and cut them into bite-sized pieces, unless they are already very small. (If they are organic they will not need to be peeled.) Cut up 1 or 2 onions; prepare several cloves of garlic. Cut up 2 pears (or Asian pears).

Pour olive oil into a roasting pan, add the vegetables, salt, pepper, and fresh herbs. (We used sage, thyme, and oregano.) Mix them so that they become coated with the olive oil. Add the pears and mix again.

Cover. Place in a preheated (375 degree) oven, and roast for an hour.


My before and after photos don't do this dish justice. I wish my food photography skills were better developed! The fresh, chopped ingredients were a beautiful medley of color and the aroma as they cooked called to us from the living room. Everything was cooked perfectly (nothing still firm yet nothing too soft). But the best part of the dish was the pears. They were a little under-ripe when I prepared them, but by the time they were finished roasting they were had the most lovely red blush to them. They were a perfect addition to the roasted veggies.

No comments:

ShareThis