Monday, July 15, 2013

Kids Grow Up


In April last year Tom and I were driving in the farmlands nearby and we found a wonderful tree with a huge eagle's next and a bald eagle keeping watch in the tree. I posted the pictures here

The other day, when we were out with the camera, we drove by the tree again. "Let's see if there is an eaglet in the tree," Tom said. Sure enough, we found this baby sitting in the nest, virtually hidden by leaves. (Bless the person who invented the zoom lens!)

Babies were meant to grow up and launch. It's true throughout species, and around the world. Kids grow up.

Over the weekend we had the joy of seeing some of the kids that I have loved since they were very young, and now they are grown up, or almost so. Sara was at Seattle Pacific University when I was in international student ministry there. We've had a special friendship with her over the years and have loved her children since they were born. I remember Hannah's first birthday party as if it just happened but now she's 18 and off to college. She's a beautiful young woman, with dancing eyes. a bright mind, and a sweet spirit. I held Steven in my arms and dedicated him to the Lord when he was a baby. Now he's in high school, a great student and a kind, loving son.

We also attended a wedding reception for our friend Tim. He was five or six when we met, and I spent a lot of time with his family. Timmy was extremely creative; he wrote and illustrated the most imaginative stories I could ever, well, imagine! He was probably about ten when he moved away and I didn't see him very often after that, but it has been fun to watch from at a distance as he and Astrid fell in love and got married. The years of being out of touch melted away as I got to meet Astrid and spend time with the family at the reception. 

Kids grow up, sometimes when you are looking, sometimes when you're not.

One Saturday a month we have a prayer meeting at church called Pray for our Kids. It's a way for us to be involved in the life of children whether we know their situations or not. I am so glad God gave us prayer as a way to be involved in the life of those around us.

That's what a lot of people have done for our boys. We have had a prayer team who have, over the years, prayed for our children. I have sent an occasional prayer update and have included concerns for which we'd appreciate prayer. God has blessed us with people who care deeply about our children, and we praise him for these dear folks.

The process of growing up can get pretty messy. There's all that stuff they tell you as parents to expect, but then there's all that other stuff you couldn't possibly prepare for! Why not invite others to join you in praying for your kids. And pray for other people's kids who are in your life. All our kids will grow up. Let's support them as they do with our love and prayers.

* * * * * * * * *

I just want to let you know that I'll be blogging less through the rest of the summer. I'll be posting, but it won't be every Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning.  I'm not quitting, but it just won't be as regular. I'll still be checking in from time to time. Won't you do the same?

No comments:

ShareThis