Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Is It Spring Yet?


Thursday, March 8, 2012, 8:57 a.m.
I have an early morning errand in Mt Vernon today. I am driving north on I-5 before the sun has crested the foothills. The way the clouds lay in the sky reminds me of a Japanese rock garden, recently raked. Smoke circles from the chimneys of distant farm houses, creating a delicate haze that settles on the rooflines. Horses graze on dewy grass; tiny grape buds in the vineyards along the freeway await the sun's warmth.

A dusting of snow lingers on the hills. Perhaps it will vanish in today's full sun. Mount Baker hides behind the ridge and can only be seen from one spot along the freeway, where the hills part. My eyes are drawn again and again to the northeast, waiting for Baker to come into view. Today clouds hang low around the top of the mountain, obscuring its peak.

On my return trip half an hour later, the clouds have completely swallowed the mountain. By now, the sun has fully appeared in the sky, its brightness having washed over the landscape, stealing the glisten of the early morning. It is still beautiful, but the wonder inside me has subsided.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012, 8:57 a.m.
My feet are cold; my hands are cold. Snow covers the yard and is heavy on the car. The clouds are swollen with precipitation, even after the bucketsful that they dumped on us all day yesterday.

Just walking to the mailbox required rain gear. The storm drain could not begin to handle the volume of water that was rushing toward it. And the river seemed near capacity the last time I drove past it. Yesterday I wondered if schools would be closed today because of floods.

They are closed, alright, but it is because of snow.

* * * * * * * 

Of all the seasons, surely Spring is the overcomer. The tenacious lion of Winter, unwilling to give up his rule, seems too mighty for the sweet Spring lamb. But Spring belongs to the lamb and, no matter how he roars, Winter must step aside. Out of the way, then, be gone with you! Persevere, little lamb. Your time is fast approaching.


4 comments:

Angela said...

We have spring fever also! It will happen eventually...right? :)

Joan Husby said...

These last two blogs are beautifully written, Ginger. Don't you love the unpredictability of this time of the year?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! Spring is definitely in the air here in Kyushu, Japan. Yesterday there were even early mosquitoes swarming outside the window trying to figure out how to get at me! Here-the Ume trees are blossoming...my momo trees are budding and I also see buds on the sakura tree across the street!

Ginger Kauffman said...

This is such a lovely time to be in Japan! Plum and peach trees and cherry blossoms -- how wonderful! Enjoy the Spring!

ShareThis