Friday, November 6, 2009

How Would Jesus Live?

I heard an interview the other day that Charles Morris of Haven Today did with Ed Dobson, a former pastor who, for nine years, has been living with ALS, "Lou Gehrig's Disease." He had heard A.J. Jacobs, a secular Jew, telling about the year that he endeavored to live by all the commands of scripture. It challenged Dobson to see if, for one year, he could live like Jesus, getting to know Him afresh from the gospels and putting into practice what Jesus taught. His book, The Year of Living Like Jesus: My Journey of Discovering What Jesus Would Really Do, is the story of that year.

He ate kosher for the year, read through the gospels many times, tried to follow Jesus' pattern of prayer. He observed the Sabbath and attempted to live in the way he felt Jesus would have lived. It changed his life, and impacted others. "I am not asking God to heal me," Dobson says. "I'm throwing myself on the mercy of God....I don't think I really care what [others] think about me. Ultimately what really matters is what they think about Jesus."

The book came out in October. If you'd like to hear Dobson talking about his experience, click here. It will take you to a three-minute video on Amazon. If you'd like to hear his interview with Charles Morris you can go to Haven Today, click on Program Archives, and look for 11.02.09's program -- Christians You Should Know - Ed Dobson. This is an entire broadcast and lasts about 25 minutes.

Hmmm...I wonder how it would affect us if we could truly grasp the notion of living like Jesus?

No comments:

ShareThis