Friday, April 25, 2014

Dear Facebook Friends



Dear Facebook Friends,

I want you to know that I prayed for you, by name -- if not today, it was some time in the past few months. It is the sweetest privilege!

Last fall I heard about Ceaseless, an app that sends me an e-mail each day with the names of five of my Facebook friends to pray for. I met the designer of the app, Chris Lim, and signed up to receive my daily Ceaseless notice in my inbox. I am now on my second round of praying for each of my friends.

Most of you are friends from some specific time in my life, and I am enjoying getting to know you again through FB. I read your comments, see the pictures you post, listen to the things you care about, and that informs my praying. But even if you don't post much, or if you don't show up on my wall very often, I am always happy to have your name come across my path so that I can pray for you.

There are a few of you that I don't know too well, but I know enough to have become Facebook friends with you. I see your name on my Ceaseless e-mail and am happy to be reminded of you.

What do I pray? Each day there is a passage of scripture, usually something about prayer. Today's verse is Philippians 4:6-7: Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. If I know of specific situations you are facing, I lift them to the Lord. I pray for you as I know you. And if I don't know how to pray specifically for you, I pray the verse of the day for you.

Take yesterday, for example. One friend on my Ceaseless e-mail was a girl from our days as campers at Warm Beach; another recently posted a photo from a camping experience I had in 1966! A much more recent friend whose life and mine have many parallels was on yesterday's list, as well as my Sunday school teacher from my youth who is now a dear friend. And then there was a friend we had just seen the day before. He'd shown up in the office at Seattle First Free Methodist Church just after we'd called in a panic on our way to the airport. A hose had come loose on our car and we had lost all our coolant! When he found out we were in trouble, he came with antifreeze and water, took us to dinner, and found a friend who could help get us on our way. The next morning, there was his name and photo; it was my opportunity to bless him and his family as I lifted them to the Lord!

It really is a joy to pray for you. But your name might not come to mind if it weren't for Ceaseless' systematic plan.

Would you like to enjoy this same privilege of praying for others? I encourage you to check out this post I wrote about it last Fall. It will give you links to follow to get your questions answered and to sign you up. If you have questions for me, message me on Facebook. We are friends, after all!

No comments:

ShareThis