Thursday, October 16, 2014

How Would You Describe Jesus?



If I ever run out of diversions at my house, I can always go find one of the dozens of old notebooks that I have stashed in boxes and drawers and sit down to read. Here's something I wrote in 1997 that I came across today. 
A good novel would include a description of the main character. Not one of the gospel writes included a physical description of Jesus. You'd think they'd at least have mentioned his eyes! 
Jesus' physical description seems irrelevant -- totally inconsequential, as if to give a description would detract from the message. 
Jesus' most noticeable characteristic was not physical. It was his authority. 
They went to Capernaum, and when the Sabbath came, Jesus went into the synagogue and began to teach. The people were amazed at his teaching, because he taught them as one who had authority, not as the teachers of the law (Mark 1:21-22).

No comments:

ShareThis