Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Hymn of the Month -- Be Still My Soul

This updated version of a beloved hymn, Be Still My Soul, is sung at a slightly faster tempo than us lovers-of-hymns might be used to singing it, but what a powerful message, Written by Katharina von Schlegel in the mid-1700s and translated into English by Jane L. Borthwick about 100 years later, it was set to the music of Jean Siebelius.

I love Kari Jobe's version of Be Still My Soul. The bridge says, "In you I rest, in you I found my hope; In you I trust, you never let me go. I place my life within your hands alone. Be still my soul!" Ah, sweet bliss. In God alone is our rest, our hope, our trust. We are safe in His hands! So be still, my soul. What have I to fear? Why would I want to withhold anything from the One who remains faithful in every change of my life?

And listen to verse 2: "Be still, my soul! thy God doth undertake to guide the future as He has the past. Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake; All now mysterious shall be bright at last. Be still, my soul! the waves and winds still know His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below."

This hymn has truth to meet you wherever you are in your life today! Hear it and be blessed!

No comments:

ShareThis