Thursday, May 19, 2011

Come to Dinner

"Suppose I invite you to my house for dinner, and I work for hours preparing a sumptuous meal, the finest food I can provide.  My table is set -- a meat platter laden with thick slices of juicy turkey, ham, and beef; the serving bowls heaped with exotic rice dishes, delicately seasoned vegetables, and ambrosia; trays laden with fruits and cheeses; homemade biscuits with jam; chocolate-dipped strawberries and cream puffs for dessert.  I am looking forward to serving you and rush to the door when I hear you drive up.

"It's been a long trip for you as you live many miles away.  You started out early in the day to reach my house in time for dinner.  As you traveled you stopped now and then to stretch your legs, get gas, use the restroom.  At each stop you picked up a snack, something to "tide you over" until you got to my house.


"You pull into my driveway, weary from the long trip, and walk up to my house.  I throw open the door to greet you and the sights and aromas of my meal spread out before you greet you as well.  Then it is that you realize that your little snacks, the treats you gave yourself along the way to stave off the hunger pangs, have stolen your appetite.  My wonderful dinner is ready for you, but you are not ready for it."

It was 40 years ago that I head the speaker kick off a large youth conference with these words.  I don't remember his name, but I could probably take you to the seat in the auditorium where I sat as I heard him talk about the amazing things God has in mind for us and the junk that masks our hunger for Him.

I wonder what pure and delicious pleasures we have missed out on in our lives because we have attempted to fill the hunger with quick fixes, diversions and things that don't satisfy.

Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life.  
He who comes to me will never go hungry, 
and he who believes in me will never be thirsty."
John 6:35

No comments:

ShareThis