Saturday, April 3, 2010

Mom's Oatmeal Cake

We were planning a get-together for the neighborhood girls.  We were to meet at Sheryl's; she would prepare a pot of soup, I'd bring the dessert, and the other gals would bring salads and bread.  A few weeks before the lunch I got this e-mail from Roxi:


Hi Ginger,
I was going through some old recipes the other night and came across a recipe in my Mom's handwriting titled "Fosket's Oatmeal Cake".  The funny thing about this is I've been making an oatmeal cake out of one of my cookbooks called "Lazy, Daisy Oatmeal Cake" --- I've only been making it about a year.  Everyone really likes it, it's nice and moist and is one of those cakes that you have all the ingredients in your pantry already.  It's the same recipe!!  Little did I know I must have had this cake as a child on Berkshire --- the recipe has food stains on it and looks like my Mom must have made the cake.  I'd like to bring it April 1 to Sheryl's, along with my Mom's written recipe.  Is it OK with you?  I know you are supposed to bring a dessert --- want to bring a salad and I bring the dessert?
Love, Roxi

How could I pass up such an offer? I hadn't eaten Mom's oatmeal cake in years, and it would be fun to share with our childhood friends.  So here are a couple of photos from our lunch on April 1 -- the recipe, written in Roxi's mom's handwriting, complete with vanilla spills, and a piece of the cake.  It was every bit as good as I remember, and no wonder, when I see the list of ingredients!  I'm also writing out the recipe in case you'd like to try it yourself.




Mom's Oatmeal Cake


Cake:
1 1/4 c boiling water
1 c quick oats, uncooked
1/2 c shortening or butter
2 eggs
1 c white sugar
1 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 c flour
1 tsp vanilla


Topping:
6 tbsp butter
1 c chopped nuts
1 c shredded coconut
2/3 c brown sugar
1/4 c cream or evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla


Grease and flour 9x13 pan.  Pour boiling water over oats and shortening or butter; let stand until shortening has melted.  Add eggs, sugars salt soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, flour and vanilla.  Mix until blended.  Pour into prepared pan.  Bake at 350 for 30 - 35 minutes.  While baking, prepare topping:  Combine butter, sugar and milk in sauce pan.  Heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved.  Remove from heat.  Stir in vanilla, coconut and nuts.  Spread over hot cake. 

  

No comments:

ShareThis