Monday, April 19, 2010

Historical Friends

Historical friends.  That's what my brother calls those people you have known and loved for a very long time.  I spent the weekend with some of my historical friends -- Terri, Judi and Nancy -- friends since our late teens.  It was the first time since college that all four of us had been together at one time.  Since we are all turning 60 this year, we thought it was about time.

We laughed and cried together, ate in and ate out, poured over photo albums, played the piano and sang -- in three parts, mind you! -- and shopped.  We also spent a couple of hours at the Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival in Woodburn, Oregon.  The flowers were arranged in rows by color, as they are in the picture above and which I have often seen, but there were also large sections where the colors were mixed.  All in all, the fields were spectacular!

On the heels of my trip to Arizona with my parents and siblings, I was a little uncomfortable about leaving my family for the weekend.  Tom was great and told me to go and have a good time.  Still, I went away with a slight twinge of concern.  But when I checked my e-mail I found an e-card he'd sent us.  Two animated old gals in their bangles and do-dahs, big hair and bright lips, were wishing us a happy birthday and reminding us that no matter how old we get, we'll still be "major babes"!

Good friends and a great husband.  What more could I ask for?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great blog today. I would have recognized TJ and Judy anywhere. You must have had a ball. How amazing for you that as your own family goes through its transitions as your sons grow to adulthood you have this window to reconnect with your family of origin and your family of old friends. You are so blessed. It is wonderful being in the orb or your life. Who knows what is next for you, but I can't wait to see where you go from here. Tim

ShareThis