Monday, January 14, 2013

What's on my Mind

Photo by Marilee Drew
Sometimes when I sit down to write a post I have no idea what to share. But once in a while I have more ideas than I know what to do with. Today is kind of like that. So here are three things that I'm thinking about right now.

1. Happy Anniversary, National Geographic Society! Begun in 1888 the society exists "to inspire people to care for the planet," according to their website.  That may be its purpose, but the greatest benefit it has offered me is a chance to go places in the world I will never visit myself. I love their photos. I also like to know who took the photos, and how. Do you feel that way too? Check out their Image Collection Book and look at dozens of National Geographic photos. You can also get a glimpse into the who and how by clicking on the Behind the Photos button. Pretty amazing!

2. Last week PBS's American Experience premiered a video called The Abolitionists. The film is marvelously produced and tells of the beginning of the American Abolitionist Movement  in the early 1800s. (Part 2 airs on Wednesday of this week, January 15.) Having recently seen Lincoln, the movie about the president during the Civil War crisis, and heard a discussion about President Lincoln on Haven Today, our nation's struggle over the issue of slavery is fresh in my mind. As I watched The Abolitionists I wondered if I would have stood strongly with these passionate people who chose to defend the rights of all people, no matter the color or station in life, or if I would have been a silent observer. I'm still mulling over that one.

As I watched the film about an era in our history nearly 200 years ago, I was reminded that we are again facing a crisis over slavery. A friend of ours, Kevin Austin, is a modern day abolitionist, working with The Set Free Movement. He spends his days working to help free people who are caught in the sex trade. He, too, is passionate about his work and continues to call the church to open our eyes to the problem and to pray and work to see the end of this evil. It is a very real problem; just last week the Herald, our regional newspaper, ran an article about sex trafficking in our own community. Again I ask myself how strongly I am willing to stand on this issue.

3. OK, that was pretty heavy. So I will close by talking about the weather. It has been cold but glorious here lately. On Saturday Tom's sister Marilee came to visit and we went to Mt Vernon. We pulled off the road for her to take some photos of Mt Baker. She took the photo at the top of this post just north of the Conway exit off I5 (exit 240). And last yesterday afternoon Tom and I grabbed the camera and raced over to Camano Island to catch the light on the Cascades. The pictures below are from our outing.

I hope you have a good week, wherever you are and whatever is on your to-do list. How about putting this item on the top of your list: Return to your rest, O my soul, for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you (Psalm 116:7, Amplified).

Photo by Tom Kauffman

Photo by Ginger Kauffman


No comments:

ShareThis