Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Hymn of the Month - Creed

Today starts a series on the Apostles' Creed, a statement of the beliefs of the Christian church. It dates from the eighth century and is recognized by believers in Christ worldwide.

Maybe you are very familiar with the Apostles' Creed, maybe not. Each month during 2013 we will look at a portion of the Creed, with a hymn particularly relevant to that portion, celebrating the great truths upon which our faith is established.

We begin with Third Day and Brandon Heath filming a recording session of Creed, a song released by Rich Mullins in 1993. As they sing through the Apostles' Creed they also include a chorus which says:
And I believe that what I believe
Is what makes me what I am
I did not make it, no it is making me
It is the very truth of God and not
the invention of any man.
Below the video are the actual words to the Apostles' Creed.



The Apostles' Creed

I believe in God the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth:

And in Jesus Christ His only Son, our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; He descended into hades; the third day He rose again from the dead; He ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God, the Father Almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the quick ad the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.

No comments:

ShareThis