Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Nursery Duty

Sunday Tom and I were in the nursery.  Rather than the houseful that we have when we serve during the Seekers service (when most families with kids attend), the Mosaic service nursery is usually very small.  We just had one child, a little girl who turned two at Easter.

She must have gone down the slide twenty times, on her bottom, on her feet, on her tummy, head-first, feet-first, a different, more creative way each time.  She'd move an adult sized chair right up next to mine so that we could look at books together, but she'd flip the pages so fast you couldn't begin to read the story.

We sang "Jesus Loves Me" to her and she opened a book to a picture of Jesus and started singing her own sweet melody of praise.  She dropped the book and, still singing, went to the toy piano to accompany herself.

The most endearing thing about her was her names for us.  "Daddy, watch!" she'd order as she was about to try out a new trick.  "Daddy, play ball!" and she'd careen the red ball off the table and around the room.  "Mom, sit here."  She pointed to the chair beside her and had me sit down so that she could play ball with Tom.  I believe her only intention for me was to fetch the balls that she missed!

She made me laugh so hard at her charming antics.  Being with her was as cathartic as a good cry, and the Lord knows I've really been needing a good cry!

1 comment:

Cami said...

I am so thankful for yours and Tom's faithful service in the nursery. I am so grateful for you two.

ShareThis