Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Good (Duck) Egg

My eyes
on chicken eggs
In an allergy test, I tested sensitive to chicken eggs.  Too many of 'em and my eyes get dizzy and out of focus.  My doctor told me that some people do better with duck eggs, so I tried it.  Yahoo!  I can eat duck eggs and my eyes don't do any crazy tricks.  As for why, all I can find out is that water fowl eggs have an enzyme that does not exist in chicken eggs, making them easier for some people to digest.  If you know more, let me know.

Getting duck eggs is a bit of a problem.  I've been fortunate to find local sources of eggs (I get mine from Adam and Joscelyn, friends with a mini-farm in Silvana), but generally I've found that you have to know someone who knows someone who has ducks.  In the winter, when duck eggs are harder to come by locally, I get them from Whole Foods or PCC in Seattle.  They are pricey, but worth the trip and the price to me.  I've heard that you can get them at Asian markets as well, though I haven't checked that out myself.

One of the girls who provides my eggs!

Duck eggs are bigger than chicken eggs and have a tougher shell.  The yolk is deep orange and the eggs are richer than chicken eggs.  They also have a higher nutrient count than chicken eggs, as well as being higher in fat and cholesterol (uh-oh).

Chicken egg on left, duck egg on right

Duck egg on top, chicken egg below

A one-egg omlette is all I need on a Saturday morning.  Some sautéed vegetables, maybe a bit of ham, one duck egg and Tom's wrist action and I've got a very satisfying breakfast (especially with a muffin and a slice of melon on the side).



4 comments:

Cami said...

The duck egg LOOKS more appealing :)

Anonymous said...

Ginger, do you know if you can have Goose eggs? We usually have a few in the spring, when our one goose is laying..

Ginger Kauffman said...

Hi Adam,
I think I was OK with the goose egg that I had once, but they are so big! I would probably want to use it in a recipe that called for two eggs.
Ginger

PS, thanks for the picture of your duck that I included in this blog.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ginger! She is the lucky survivor of and eagle attack. You can read more on my blog!
http://theadalynfarm.wordpress.com/2010/06/30/stupid-national-bird/

ShareThis