Monday, March 3, 2014

West Seattle Surprise

Have you ever heard of Schmitz Park, the old growth preserve in the heart of West Seattle? It turns out some of the residents of West Seattle haven't either! We spent part of the afternoon last Friday exploring the park and nearby Alki Beach. The weather was glorious and the enticing signs of a fast approaching Spring were enough to make one giddy!

Tom and I were as happy as robins in a mud puddle, each with a camera in our hands. Here's a bit of what we saw through our lenses.


We parked on SW Stevens Street, where it intersects SW Admiral Way, and entered the park. With over a mile and a half of hiking trails in the 53 acre park, there is a lot to see in this native Northwest forest.






These ferns were growing this fallen tree that was about 15 feet from the ground!



We chose a path through the park that let us out in a West Seattle neighborhood, near Alki Elementary School and cozy homes. We were just a couple of blocks from Alki Beach, two-and-a-half miles of sandy strip (not like the very rocky beaches we have along north Puget Sound) that runs along the west side of Alki Point. It is where the first white settlers in Seattle arrived and the views from the beach -- the Olympic Mountains, all kinds of boats and ships in Puget Sound, and downtown Seattle -- are dazzling.



I became a bit nervous when I heard my name spoken by a man walking the beach behind us. He mentioned it more than once before I realized he was calling the Yorkie who was off her leash, socializing with other dogs! When I introduced myself as another Ginger, the guy let me hold this bundle of nerves and wild hair.





We'll be going back to West Seattle and will share some of the other wonderful surprises that can be found there. I hope you'll get a chance to explore it for yourself one of these days.

2 comments:

Karen S. said...

Did you eat macaroons? Looks like a delightful day for exploring and photography.

Ginger Kauffman said...

Karen, we did eat macaroons, but I'm going to have to do some research into kinds of macaroons! I think they were the French variety (if there is such a thing) and would be in a different "Best _____ (fill in the blank with your favorite cookie) in Seattle" category.

I couldn't help but think of you on this outing, Karen, especially when we parked on Stevens to go to Schmitz Park!

ShareThis