Saturday, September 21, 2013

Ode to Summer as She Ends

Here is my song bidding summer farewell. It was an amazing summer, with the great weather, the feeling of being warm clear to my bones for weeks on end, wonderful times with people I love, opportunities for service, and many other blessings. I don't mind fall, and I don't really expect it to live up to summer's glories. Indeed, I suspect it will have its very own highlights. But it was so nice to be warm. I guess I'll just have to buy a new sweater or two.

So here's my song, to be sung to the tune of The Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel, with my sincerest apologies to them.


Good-bye summer, my old friend,
I'm sad to see you have to end,
But the calendar informed me
That your glowing sun which warmed me
Will be cooling as, tomorrow, autumn comes.
I am bummed --
There'll soon be no more summer.


Under the sun I spent my days,
Enjoying all your gracious ways,
The fresh tomatoes from the garrrr-den,
Watching my muscles start to harrrr-den
As I walked through the neighborhood at night.
Such a delight
To have a happy summer.


Good times with friends and family,
Sitting with Tom under a tree,
A happy birthday dinner with my sis --
Who knew that life could be as sweet as this!
It was more than I ever could have dreamed,
And now it seems
We've reached the end of summer.


The awesome books I got to read,
The flower beds I did not weed,
The joy of sumer filled my heart each day,
And now the only thing that I can say
Is, "Thank you for the marv'lous memories.
Oh, won't you please,
Repeat yourself next summer?"


1 comment:

Joan Husby said...

Love it! My sentiments exactly!

ShareThis