Friday, November 23, 2012

Recent Facebook Sitings and Black Friday Options

I have some pretty cool Facebook friends. Here's a sampling of things they have posted recently.

(posted by two different friends)

So much to be thankful for. Lord God, thank you for the gift of your Son and the sacrifice that was made on the cross so that each and everyone of us can have an intimate friend in You. YOU are the ultimate FRIEND. You will NEVER "unfriend" me, no matter what! You will never "unfriend" my children or anyone who puts their trust in you. I thank you for that. Help me to be the friend to others that You are to me.  (Lisa B)

We have reviewed  the original story of how the pilgrims gave thanks for surviving their first year in the New World. I was impressed that most of the children survived. I believe it was due to the sacrifice of the rest of the group. Today I am thankful for all the sacrifices that parents/grandparents/caregivers make for the kids. Every day I see that sacrificial love, and am blessed by it. The kids will survive and grow strong by this kind of love. Keep it up and don't grow weary in doing good...there will be a reward. (Lisa R)

I am so thankful for so many things that it's hard to write about. So I'll just talk about the pie, because it was the most awesome pumpkin pie I've ever had. Why? Because my daughters and I chose seeds that grew pumpkins that make great pie, planted the pumpkin seeds, fertilized the plants with coffee grounds and oyster shells, watered the plants, gathered and cured the pumpkins, scooped the goop, saved the seeds, cooked it, pureed it, added spices, put it in a shell, and baked the pie. From seed to pie, this is something for which I am profoundly thankful: that I have a relationship with my daughters that includes teaching them how to grow and forage great food and medicine, and to care for the land. Thank you, God, for this life. (Julie C)

* * * * * * * * * * 

And now for something different:



This is Black Friday, the days retailers are expecting the stores to be overrun by hordes of shoppers, kicking off the Christmas shopping season. We aren't going out today, even for the half-price socks at Fred Meyer. We'll be talking to our sons about choosing a project that we, as a family, can give that will impact others.

We learned about Sawyer Water Filters as we were browsing this Christmas Gift Giving catalog put out by International Child Care Ministries of the Free Methodist Church. Besides child sponsorship and the Busoma Project, they have various programs that are made possible through gifts of caring people. Check it out! I believe it's just what you're looking for!

No comments:

ShareThis